Water Management Partnership Agreement — The Commonwealth of Australia and the State of South Australia
Signed 4 November 2009
- Water Management Partnership Agreement - The Commonwealth of Australia and the State of South Australia (PDF - 449 KB) | (RTF - 890 KB)
Water Management Partnership Agreement
The Water Management Partnership Agreement is made between and binds the Commonwealth of Australia and the State of South Australia.
On 3 July 2008 the Commonwealth and the Basin States (being the States of New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory) signed an Intergovernmental Agreement on Murray-Darling Basin Reform (IGA). Alongside the Water Act 2007, the IGA progresses the objectives of the National Water Initiative (NWI) which are to increase the productivity and efficiency of Australia's water use, to service rural and urban communities and to ensure the health of river and groundwater systems. In doing so the IGA reaffirms the parties' commitment to the NWI.
Part Four of the IGA provides for the Basin States and the Commonwealth to enter into Water Management Partnership Agreements to give effect to the urgent need to undertake water reforms in the Murray-Darling Basin to deliver a sustainable cap on surface water and groundwater diversions across the Murray-Darling Basin to ensure the future of communities, industry and enhanced environmental outcomes.
The Water Management Partnership Agreements provide for the Basin States to undertake one or more Priority Projects that will substantially contribute to improved water use efficiency and enhance the sustainability of rural water use in the Murray-Darling Basin. The Agreements recognise the direct link between the need for the Basin States to undertake water reforms in the Murray-Darling Basin and the provision of Commonwealth funding for each Priority Project. This Commonwealth funding is provided from its Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure program, which is a component of the Commonwealth's Water for the Future initiative.
In entering into this Agreement, the Commonwealth and the State recognise that they have a shared responsibility and mutual interest in improving outcomes in the Murray-Darling Basin.
Project schedules form part of the Water Management Partnership Agreement and formalise the specific funding arrangements for each of the agreed State Priority Projects. Where funding was provided to states for a State Priority Project prior to the execution of the Water Management Partnership Agreement, funding agreements were developed.
Links to funding schedules/agreements are below:
Lower Lakes Integration Pipeline - Irrigation Water Start-Up Project:
- Funding agreement dated 26 November 2008 (PDF - 65 KB) | (Word - 305 KB)
- Variation to funding agreement dated 15 January 2010 (PDF - 736 KB) | (Word - 50 KB)
Lower Lakes Integration Pipeline - Irrigation Water Project
- Funding agreement dated 28 August 2009 (PDF - 2,805 KB) | (Word - 334 KB)
- Variation to funding agreement dated 27 November 2009 (PDF - 552 KB) | (Word - 53 KB)
Lower Lakes Integration Pipeline - Potable Water Project
Lower Lakes Integrated Pipeline - Point Sturt and Hindmarsh Island Potable Water Project
Coorong, Lower Lakes and Murray Mouth Projects
Feasibility Study for Long-Term Management of the Coorong, Lower Lakes and Murray Mouth
- Funding agreement dated 18 February 2009 (PDF - 1,595 KB) | (Word - 318 KB)
- Variation to funding agreement dated 15 January 2010 (PDF - 198 KB) | (Word - 76 KB)
- Variation to funding agreement dated 20 May 2010 (PDF - 227 KB) | (Word - 215 KB)
Goolwa Channel Water Level Management Project
- Funding agreement dated 27 August 2009 (PDF - 2,717 KB) | (Word - 547 KB)
- Variation to funding agreement dated 17 February 2010 (PDF - 166 KB) | (Word - 219 KB)
- Clayton Regulator Decommissioning Component and Currency Creek Decommissioning Investigations - Project schedule dated 23 September 2011 (PDF - 1,190 KB) | (Word - 5,135 KB)
Lake Albert Water Level Management Project
- Narrung Bund Decommissioning Component - project schedule dated 19 April 2011 (PDF - 628 KB) | (Word - 389 KB)
Riverine Recovery Project
Riverine Recovery Start-Up Project
- Funding agreement dated 29 June 2009 (PDF - 2,213KB) | (Word - 303 KB)
- Variation to funding agreement dated 20 May 2010 (PDF - 736 KB) | (Word - 218 KB)
Riverine Recovery Early Works Project
- Project schedule dated 3 March 2011 (PDF - 657 KB) | (Word - 16,400 KB)
- First variation to funding agreement dated 13 May 2011 (PDF - 2,717 KB) | (Word - 547 KB)
- Second variation to funding agreement dated 12 January 2012 (PDF - 5,580KB) | (Word - 1,881 KB)
- Third variation to schedule 2 dated 29 June 2012 (PDF - 560KB) | (Word - 185 KB)
Riverine Recovery Main Project