Coleambally Irrigation area, New South Wales
Australian Government Funding: $7,205,692
About the project
The project rolls out the latest precision irrigation techniques and contemporary water data technologies over the Coleambally irrigation region to maximise production and reduce the environmental footprint of irrigation. Precision irrigation instruments and systems, including but not limited to soil moisture monitoring, deep leakage monitoring, irrigation application rate optimisation, outlet controllers and automation will be installed to more precisely match water application to crop water needs.
The project has:
- generated approximately 2.57 GL per year of water savings which will be made available for environmental use
- resulted in a 10-20 per cent reduction in salt interception through reduction of on-farm recharge
- enabled public communication of real time data
- complemented the system harmonisation research work being undertaken under the Regional Irrigation Business Partnership program which aims to maximise return of irrigation investment and reduce the environmental footprint of irrigation activities.
- Coleambally Water Efficiency and Metering - Final Report (PDF - 1.7 MB) | (Word - 2 MB)
- Coleambally Water Smart System Harmonization Element 12 Project - Final Report (PDF - 9.5 MB) | (Word - 30 MB)
Water Smart Australia projects are funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.