What is Non-urban Water Metering?
Non-urban water metering describes the use of meters (including measuring devices, systems and their component parts) owned by entitlement holders, water service providers and jurisdictional governments in areas outside of urban settings. Non-urban water metering incorporates water meters, systems and usage for irrigation e.g. dethridge wheel, open channel, closed conduit, pivot and drip systems.
Why is it important?
As water is becoming scarce across Australia, it is vital that more accurate measurement is used to support decision making and contribute to nationally consistent and more efficient approach to water use.
The Metering Expert Group, comprising representatives from industry, state, territory and the Commonwealth governments, developed the National Framework for Non-urban Water Metering (National Framework). On 7 December 2009, the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) agreed to redouble its efforts to accelerate the pace of reform under the National Water Initiative (NWI). It further committed to the National Framework to improve the accuracy of water metering.
What is the Department doing about it?
This Department is assisting state and territory governments to implement the objectives of the National Framework. $12 million dollars has been committed to various initiatives designed to establish the baseline capacity of industry and governments required for renewal of the countries metering infrastructure.
The Department is working to:
- develop and maintain the National Framework for Non-urban Water Metering
- provide tools and guidance designed to build capacity for state and territory implementation
- coordinate implementation activities; and
- establish reporting protocols.
Find out more about what the Department is doing
Installers, Maintainers, Validators
Accredited Meter Testing
- Water metering and measurement (National Water Commission)
- Remote reading of irrigation water meters
- Improving In-field Verification of Non-Urban Water Meter Accuracy (National Water Commission)
- National Framework for Non-urban Water Metering - Final Regulatory Impact Statement - 2009
- Stocktake of Australia's non-urban water metering systems - 2008
For up-to-date information about the Water for the Future initiative.[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Non-Urban Water Metering Team
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
1800 218 478 (toll free)
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601