Independent Review of the Water Act 2007
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
On 12 May 2014, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for the Environment announced an independent review of the Water Act 2007 (Cth) (the Act).
About the Review
This was the first review of the Act since it commenced on 3 March 2008. In accordance with section 253 of the Act and its terms of reference, the review assessed the operation of the Act, the extent to which its objects have been achieved and opportunities to minimise regulatory burden imposed on the water industry, water managers and irrigators.
The review was undertaken by an independent Expert Panel led by Mr Eamonn Moran PSM QC (Chair) and supported by Mr Peter Anderson, Mr Gavin McMahon and Dr Steve Morton.
The Parliamentary Secretary received the Review Report on 24 November 2014 and it was tabled out of session on 19 December 2014. The Report made 23 recommendations and 30 conclusions relevant to the terms of reference.
- Report of the Independent Review of the Water Act 2007
- Review of the Water Act 2007 report - media release, 19 December 2014
On 3 December 2015, the Australian Government tabled the Government’s Response to the Report of the Independent Review of the Water Act 2007 and introduced the Water Amendment (Review Implementation and Other Measures) Bill 2015 in the Parliament. The response accepts all 23 of the Expert Panel’s recommendations in full or in part.
The Australian Government’s response to the Water Act Review will deliver economic, social and environmental outcomes in the delivery of Basin reforms and cut red tape for the water industry.
- Water Act improvements deliver greater certainty for Basin communities - media release, 3 December 2015
Extensive consultation was undertaken to inform the review’s findings.
Interested parties were invited to make submissions between 26 May 2014 and 4 July 2014. The 73 public submissions made are available below.
The Expert Panel also conducted early meetings with peak bodies and all states and territories; and interactive roundtable discussions with groups from a range of sectors, including industry, environment, Indigenous and community groups and governments.
- Australian Competition And Consumer Commission (PDF - 275KB)
- Australian Conservation Foundation (PDF - 364KB)
- Australian Dairy Industry Council (PDF - 197KB)
- Australian Forest Products Association (PDF - 193KB)
- Australian Network of Environmental Defenders Offices (ANEDO) (PDF - 242KB)
- Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association (PDF - 375KB)
- Barbara Darvall (PDF - 10KB)
- Birdlife Southern NSW (PDF - 204KB)
- Brian (Barney) Stevens (PDF - 306KB)
- Conservation Council SA (PDF - 232KB)
- Cotton Australia (PDF - 179KB)
- Cumberland Bird Observers Club Inc (PDF - 345KB)
- Dorte Planert (PDF - 83KB)
- Dr Dianne Robinson (PDF - 1550KB)
- Dr Richard Mallaby (PDF - 11KB)
- Environment Victoria (PDF - 308KB)
- Environmental Farmers Network (PDF - 95KB)
- Environmental Justice Australia (PDF - 129KB)
- Federation of Victorian Traditional Owner Corporations (PDF - 224KB)
- Friends of the Earth Melbourne (PDF - 212KB)
- Frontier Economics (PDF - 209KB)
- Geoff Wise (PDF - 267KB)
- Goulburn Valley Environment Group (PDF - 104KB)
- Gwydir Valley Irrigators Association (PDF - 1,560KB)
- Hastings Birdwatchers (PDF - 161KB)
- Ingrid Hindell (PDF - 45KB)
- Inland Rivers Network (PDF - 70KB)
- James Stranger (PDF - 42KB)
- Jane Judd (PDF - 37KB)
- Katie O'Bryan (PDF - 369KB)
- The Law Society of New South Wales (PDF - 2,662KB)
- Linden Gillbank (PDF - 48KB)
- Mark Mathews (PDF - 527KB)
- Minerals Council of Australia (PDF - 49KB)
- Murray Darling Association (PDF - 465KB)
- Murray-Darling Basin Authority (PDF - 5,438KB)
- Murray Lower Darling Rivers Indigenous Nations (PDF - 188 KB)
- Murray Irrigation (PDF - 506KB)
- Murray Valley Private Diverters (PDF - 5705KB)
- National Farmer's Federation (PDF - 564KB)
- National Irrigators Council (PDF - 685KB)
- National Native Title Council (PDF - 248KB)
- National Parks Association of NSW (PDF - 261KB)
- National Water Brokers Pty Ltd (PDF - 224KB)
- Nature Conservation Council (PDF - 613KB)
- Neville Schrader (PDF - 91KB)
- New South Wales (PDF - 87KB)
- Nick Ivanoff (PDF - 41KB)
- Northern Basin Aboriginal Nations (PDF - 1,100 KB)
- Northern Basin Advisory Committee, MDBA (PDF - 122KB)
- NSW Farmers Association (PDF - 97KB)
- NSW Farmers Association (PDF - 251KB)
- NSW Irrigators Council (PDF - 476KB)
- Paul Vale (PDF - 632KB)
- Peel Valley Water Users Association (PDF - 541KB)
- Peel Valley Water Users Association (PDF - 148KB)
- Peter Jerie (PDF - 66KB)
- Primary Producers SA (PDF - 256KB)
- Queensland (PDF - 1,256KB)
- Queensland Farmers Federation (PDF - 176KB)
- Queensland Murray-Darling Committee Inc. (PDF - 374KB)
- Riverina and Murray Regional Organisation of Councils (RAMROC) (PDF - 41KB)
- Robert Vincin (PDF - 5671KB)
- Robyn Caulfield (PDF - 32KB)
- Sarah Moles (PDF - 85KB)
- South Australia (PDF - 1,832KB)
- Southern Riverina Irrigators (PDF - 217KB)
- State Water (NSW) (PDF - 321KB)
- Stephen Wood (PDF - 33KB)
- Susanna Cheng (PDF - 39KB)
- Victorian Government (PDF - 501KB)
- Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak Body (VRFish) (PDF - 75KB)
- Waterfind (PDF - 322KB)
- Western Murray Irrigation Limited (PDF - 511KB)
- Wyong Shire Council (PDF - 602KB)
If you have any questions about the review, please contact the Water Act Review Secretariat at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Water Act 2007
- Terms of reference - Review of the Water Act 2007 (PDF - 136 KB) | (DOC - 36 KB)
- Water Act to undergo independent review - media release, 12 May 2014