There are many words used to describe water. Consistent and correct use of water terminology can help improve effective communication.
For example: When referring to a body of water there are a range of words that can be used and may mean similar things, but what does each one mean?
- Lake, pond, pool, lagoon
- Rivers, streams, tributary, canal, watercourse, estuary
- Groundwater, bore water, aquifer, artesian water
Some common examples of misused water related words include:
- Greywater, black water and wastewater
- Sewerage and sewage
- Stormwater, rainwater, rainfall, runoff
Select a key concept from the list below to use our guided key concepts search
- Human water use, activities and perceptions
- Water use by business
- Water supply and infrastructure
- Catchment and water quality
- Water conservation
- Water and government