The availability of fresh water has provided the basis for social and economic growth in Australia throughout history. This is evident through Indigenous culture and early European historical records.
This key concept introduces the impact of water throughout history in Australia including:
- Indigenous cultural connection to water through stories, art, songs and dance, influencing Indigenous culture and beliefs in parts of Australia.
- European settlement patterns of establishing colonies along major river systems, where both fresh water and trade routes were easily accessible.
- Development of large water supply infrastructure projects to supply water to areas where development was occurring and to stimulate economic opportunities such as the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Scheme and Coolgardie Water Supply Scheme.
Select a key concept from the list below to use our guided key concepts search
- Human water use, activities and perceptions
- Water use by business
- Water supply and infrastructure
- Catchment and water quality
- Water conservation
- Water and government