Overview - Greening the Wharf
Sydney Theatre Company
|Funding||$1 200 000|
|Location||Walsh Bay, Sydney, NSW|
|Estimated annual savings||Water: 11 300 kilolitres
Energy: 624 000 kilowatt hours
CO2 emissions: 550 tonnes
|Project completed||December 2011|
Pier 4/5, Walsh Bay, Sydney.
Photo: Tracey Schramm
The Greening the Wharf project transformed the iconic heritage listed Sydney Theatre Company building in Walsh Bay, Sydney Harbour.
This high profile and now complete, unique project demonstrates that even heritage buildings can become more sustainable.
Key initiatives of the Greening the Wharf project included:
- installing Australia's second-largest rooftop solar array, consisting of 1906 Suntech pluto solar panels
- energy efficiency measures including lighting and building management system upgrades
- an innovative rainwater harvesting, storage and reticulation system, which will supply 100 per cent of the non-potable water requirements for all Pier 4/5 amenities.
The Greening the Wharf project became a sustainability showcase and catalyst for developing a broader best practice sustainability plan for the entire Walsh Bay precinct. Sydney Theatre Company undertook a comprehensive education campaign, including seminars on sustainability and green events aimed at inspiring individuals and corporations.
Specifically, the project had a variety of community engagement activities which included:
- interactive touch screens, called "Green Screens" featuring time-lapse video, employee interviews and images
- signage through STC that addresses energy, waste and water efficiency
- a regular series of talks addressing global warming, rising sea levels, soil degradation, atmospheric pollution and river systems hosted by the Wentworth Groups of Concerned Scientists
- information about the project provided in theatre programs, newsletters, briefings and online
- media coverage, including front page stories in Qantas Magazine, Mindfood Magazine and Conde Naste Traveler (sic)
- information about the project provided to STC employees, STC consultants, other companies and STC visitors.