Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure
Project activities funded or partly funded under the Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure Program
Infrastructure projects in the Murray-Darling Basin
For more information see: State Priority Projects
- Coorong, Lower Lake and Murray Mouth Projects
- Goulburn Murray Water Connections Project Stage 2 (formerly Northern Victoria Irrigation Renewal Project Stage 2)
- Goulburn Murray Water Connections Project - On-Farm Project
- NSW State Priority Projects
- Private Irrigation Infrastructure Operators Program in New South Wales
- Private Irrigation Infrastructure Program in South Australia
- Queensland Coal Seam Gas Water Feasibility Study
- Queensland Healthy HeadWaters Water Use Efficiency Project
- South Australia Riverine Recovery Project
- South Australian River Murray Improvements Program - Preparation of business case
For more information see: On-Farm Irrigation Efficiency Program
The Commonwealth is providing up to $100 million for the Victorian Farm Modernisation Project to support on-farm irrigation infrastructure upgrades on approximately 450 farms in the Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District. At least 55% of the water savings generated by the project will be transferred to the Commonwealth for environmental use while the remaining 45% will be retained by irrigators. The project will be aligned with the Goulburn-Murray Water Connections Project which is supporting a major modernisation of the irrigation system within the Goulburn-Murray Irrigation District.
For more information see: Strengthening Basin Communities
For more information see: Irrigator Led Group Proposals
For more information see: Menindee Lakes Project
Funding of $100 million has been provided to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development to deliver a competitive community grants program to assist communities to meet the challenge of living in a water-constrained environment and strengthen their economic base to support the long-term viability of our rivers and regions.
Water Purchase in the Murray-Darling Basin
For more information see: Restoring the Balance in the Murray-Darling Basin
Supply Measures in the Murray-Darling Basin
For more information see: Environmental Works and Measures Feasibility Program
The Australian Government is providing funding of up to $4 million to upgrade the Clarence Water Transfer System, allowing the increased use of excess water from Clarence Colliery. The project will improve the security of Lithgow's water supply by supplementing potable water supplies and offsetting water that would ordinarily be drawn from Oberon Dam.
For more information see: Supporting more efficient irrigation in Tasmania
For more information see: $10 million for research to support the Basin - media release - 4 March 2014
Funding of up to $6.9 million has been provided to build meter test facilities that will meet the specifications required under the National Framework for Non-urban Water Metering.
Funding of up to $10 million has been contributed to remedial works on the Hume Dam southern training wall. The funding has been appropriated to the MDBA over three years.
For more information see: Irrigation Hotspots Assessment Program
For more information see: Irrigation Modernisation Planning Assistance
For more information see: Small Block Irrigators Exit grants
For more information see: National Hydrological Modelling Platform
For more information see: National Water Market System
The Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure Program provided over $6 million to Water for Rivers for infrastructure that helps deliver additional environmental flows for the Snowy River.
Funding of $5.2 million was provided to undertake a study to investigate estimated changes to future water yields having regard to climate change and future development. This study is part of the CSIRO Sustainable Yields Projects and covered 39,043 square kilometres of surface water catchment and 37,186 square kilometres of groundwater management areas from Geraldton to Albany. The project is complete.
The Wimmera Mallee pipeline project involved replacing 17,500km of open water channels with 8,800km of pipeline. The project was co-funded across a number of Commonwealth water programs and the Victorian Government including $99 million from the Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure Program. Construction of the pipeline is complete.