International water reform
MACHINERY OF GOVERNMENT CHANGES
On 21 September 2015, responsibility for water policy and resources was transferred to the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources - Administrative Arrangement Order made on 21 September 2015.
This website will be updated to reflect these changes.
Australia is at the leading edge in its approach to water resource management. Our approach is to seek integrated management of natural resources, and foster competitive, innovative and self-reliant agricultural industries.
The Department is working internationally with other Australian Government agencies and program partners to promote sustainable water management, and to demonstrate the benefits of Australia's approach.
- 2009 Australia—China High Level Water Policy Meeting
- Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar, Iran, 1971)
- Migratory bird agreements with Japan (JAMBA) and China (CAMBA)
- Declaration of Intent with the Government of the People's Republic of China
- Memorandum of Understanding with the Chinese Ministry of Water Resources
- OECD Workshop on Agriculture and Water: Sustainability, Markets and Policies
- Strategic Partnership Agreement with AusAID
- Memorandum of Understanding with the Indian Government