Indigenous Water Advisory Committee
The Department established the Indigenous Water Advisory Committee in 2012 in recognition of the importance of considering Indigenous interests, values and needs in progressing national water reform policy.
The Committee provided advice on matters such as:
- Commonwealth water policies, programmes and research activities;
- Indigenous stakeholder and engagement strategies for water policy and programme development and implementation;
- integration of Indigenous cultural heritage and natural resource management knowledge into water policy, programme development and implementation, and research activities; and
- implementation of water-related 'Closing the Gap' initiatives administered by the Department.
When required, the Committee also provided advice to other Commonwealth water portfolio agencies such as the National Water Commission, the Bureau of Meteorology and the Murray Darling Basin Authority.
The Committee met four times:
- 11 October 2012 - Meeting one
- 19 February 2013 - Meeting two
- 15 August 2013 - Meeting three
- 20 February 2014 - Meeting four
The Committee ceased on 30 June 2014.
Committee members were chosen for their demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience on issues relevant to national Indigenous water policy.
The Committee was chaired by Mr Phil Duncan. Membership included the Chair of the Minister's Indigenous Advisory Committee, Ms Melissa George, as an ex-officio member.
- Mr Phil Duncan (Chair)
- Ms Cheryl Buchanan
- Mr George Cooley
- Mr David Collard
- Mr Robert Dalton
- Ms Melissa George
- Ms Katie Kiss
- Mr Bradley Moggridge
- Ms Lillian Moseley
- Mr Brian Wyatt (retired)