Permits – accessing biological resources in Commonwealth areas
If you wish to obtain biological resources from a Commonwealth area for the purpose of research and development on any genetic resources, or biochemical compounds, comprising or contained in the biological resources, you will need to obtain a permit under Part 8A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Regulations 2000.
If the location of your proposed research is not in a Commonwealth area, you should contact relevant State and Territory Authorities.
Permits for access to biological resources are available for either commercial/potentially commercial, or non-commercial purposes. For detailed information on what you need to include in your permit application, see:
- Permit applications for commercial/potentially commercial purposes
- Permit applications for non-commercial purposes
Please note that you will need to obtain written permission to enter a Commonwealth area to take samples. Additionally, depending on the type of research you are planning to do, you may need to obtain additional permits issued under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act or regulations. For information on other permits that may be required go to environment.gov.au/epbc/permits/index.html.
Application forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Permit application (PDF - 199KB) | (DOCX - 398KB)
- Statutory Declaration (DOC - 42KB) (Permit applications for non-commercial purposes)
- Permit application (PDF - 199KB) (PDF - 198 KB)
- Permit application (DOCX - 398KB) (DOCX - 397.18 KB)
- Statutory Declaration (DOC - 42KB) (DOC - 43.5 KB)
- Commonwealth and Access Party Model Benefit-sharing Agreement 2012 (PDF - 272KB) (PDF - 271.07 KB)
- Explanatory Guide to the Benefit-sharing Agreement (PDF - 496KB) (PDF - 495.24 KB)
- Guidelines for offering samples for holders of access to biological resources permits (PDF - 801KB) (PDF - 800.18 KB)
- Guidelines for offering samples for holders of access to biological resources permits (DOCX - 30KB) (DOCX - 29.41 KB)
- Permit reporting template (PDF - 162KB) (PDF - 161.95 KB)
- Permit reporting template (DOCX - 374KB) (DOCX - 373.64 KB)