Western Kangaroo Island Commonwealth Marine Reserve
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR MARINE USERS
Until a management plan comes into effect transitional arrangements apply.
- Under the transitional arrangements, there are NO CHANGES ON THE WATER for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserves estate.
- NOTE: There are no changes to management arrangements in the marine reserves that existed prior to the establishment of the new reserves, that is, the same restrictions on activities will continue to apply even where those reserves have been incorporated into new reserves.
15–165 m (approx.)
|Types of zoning||
Marine National Park Zone (IUCN Category II)–120 km2
Major conservation values
- Important foraging areas for the:
- threatened Australian sea lion
- threatened white shark
- threatened blue whale
- migratory sperm whale
- migratory short-tailed shearwater and Caspian tern
- Important seasonal calving habitat for the threatened southern right whale
- Examples of the southernmost ecosystems of the Spencer Gulf Shelf Province (including the Eyre meso-scale bioregion)
- Two key ecological features:
- Ancient coastline 90-120m (high productivity)
- Kangaroo Island Pool, canyons and adjacent shelf break, and Eyre Peninsula upwelling (high productivity, breeding and feeding aggregations)