North Commonwealth Marine Reserves Network - Zoning and activities
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR MARINE USERS
Until a management plan comes into effect transitional arrangements apply.
- Under the transitional arrangements, there are NO CHANGES ON THE WATER for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserves estate.
- NOTE: There are no changes to management arrangements in the marine reserves that existed prior to the establishment of the new reserves, that is, the same restrictions on activities will continue to apply even where those reserves have been incorporated into new reserves.
Zoning and allowed activities
Three types of zones are represented in the North Commonwealth Marine Reserves Network
- Marine National Park Zone (IUCN Category II)
- Multiple Use Zone (IUCN Category VI)
- Special Purpose Zone (IUCN Category VI)
Until a network management plan is in effect, there are no 'on-the-water' changes for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserve estate.
The zoning scheme provides general advice on zoning and allowed activities that will apply once a management plan comes into effect.
Approvals for activities within new areas
Information on the transitional management arrangements in place for all new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserves in the North.