Montebello Commonwealth Marine Reserve
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR MARINE USERS
Until a management plan comes into effect transitional arrangements apply.
- Under the transitional arrangements, there are NO CHANGES ON THE WATER for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserves estate.
- NOTE: There are no changes to management arrangements in the marine reserves that existed prior to the establishment of the new reserves, that is, the same restrictions on activities will continue to apply even where those reserves have been incorporated into new reserves.
|Depth range||<15-150 m (approx.)|
|Types of zoning||Multiple Use Zone - IUCN Category VI-3413 km2|
Major conservation values
- Foraging areas adjacent to important breeding areas for migratory seabirds
- Foraging areas for vulnerable and migratory whale sharks
- Foraging areas adjacent to important nesting sites for marine turtles
- Includes part of the migratory pathway of the protected humpback whale
- The reserve includes shallow shelf environments with depths ranging from 15 metres to 150 metres and provides protection for shelf and slope habitats, as well as pinnacle and terrace seafloor features
- Examples of the seafloor habitats and communities of the Northwest Shelf Province provincial bioregions as well as the Pilbara (offshore) meso-scale bioregion
- One key ecological feature for the region:
- ancient Coastline (a unique seafloor feature that provides areas of enhanced biological productivity) is represented in this reserve