The Great Barrier Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is the largest coral reef ecosystem on earth and one of the best managed marine areas in the world. At 348,000 square kilometres, the reef is one of the richest and most diverse natural ecosystems on Earth.
The unique qualities of this property were recognised in 1981 when it was inscribed on the World Heritage List.
One of Australia's first World Heritage Areas, the Great Barrier Reef is the largest coral reef ecosystem and is probably the best-known marine protected area in the world.
The Australian Government is undertaking a comprehensive strategic assessment of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area and adjacent coastal zone.
Managing and Protecting the Reef
The management and protection of the Great Barrier Reef is an ongoing priority for the Australian and Queensland governments and the Marine Park Authority.
World Heritage Committee Decision
The World Heritage Committee oversees the Great Barrier Reef’s World Heritage Listing. A State Party Report on the state of conservation of the reef has been submitted to the Committee.
- Interim Guidelines on the Outstanding Universal Value of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area - for Proponents of Actions - 2013
- State Party report on the state of conservation of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area (Australia) 2013
- Understanding World Heritage: what is outstanding universal value?
- Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area location/Boundary plan (PDF - 489 KB)
- Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area place details (Australian Heritage Database)
- State Party report on the state of conservation of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area (Australia)
- Managing the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area
- Interim report on current Great Barrier Reef development proposals
- World Heritage Centre notification reports
World Heritage Committee documents
A list of documents concerning the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage area is available on the UNESCO web site.
- Great Barrier Reef strategic assessment fact sheet
- Great Barrier Reef general reference map (PDF - 1.7 MB)
- Great Barrier Reef Ports Strategy
- GBRMPA Draft Ports Position Statement
- Ports and Shipping Information Sheet - August 2012 (PDF - 5.2 MB)
- North East Shipping Management Plan
- State Planning Policies review
- Queensland Biodiversity Offset Policy
- EPBC Act environmental offsets policy
- Back on Track Species Prioritisation Framework
Terms of Reference
Protecting the Reef
- Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report 2009
- Maintaining a healthy and resilient Great Barrier Reef
The Commonwealth and Queensland Governments' Interim Response to the Outlook Report
- Great Barrier Reef Intergovernmental Agreement
- Review of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Structural Adjustment Package
- A Review of The Business Exit (Licence Buyout) Assistance Component of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Structural Adjustment Package
- Informing the Outlook for Great Barrier Reef coastal ecosystems (PDF 10.8 MB)
- Biodiversity Conservation Strategy - draft for public consultation (PDF 3.2 MB)
- 25 Year Strategic Plan for the Great barrier Reef World Hertiage Area (PDF 3.8 MB)
- Great Barrier Reef Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and Action Plan (2012-2017) (PDF 1.9 MB)