Hazardous Waste Act permits
Applying for a permit
If you want to export or import hazardous waste, or move it in and out of Australia (transit) and the material is considered a hazardous waste under the Act you must apply for a permit to do so.
There are several types of permits depending on what country the hazardous waste is going to or coming from and there are several different application forms depending on the permit required. Please contact us for further information.
- Australian guide to exporting and importing hazardous waste: Applying for a permit
- Frequently asked questions
Download the application forms
- Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities - Application form (Word - 166 KB)
- Basel Convention Transboundary Movement of Waste - Notification form (Word - 61 KB)
- OECD-EU Transfrontier Movement of Waste - Notification form (Word - 59 KB)
- Australia Transfrontier Movement of Wastes - Import transit form (Word - 53 KB)
- Basel Convention Transboundary Movement of Waste - Movement/tracking form (Word - 71 KB)
- OECD-EU Transfrontier Movement of Waste - Movement/tracking form (Word - 59 KB)
- Australia Transfrontier Movement of Wastes - Import/transit – Movement/tracking form (Word - 59 KB)
For further information in relation to the international movement of hazardous waste please contact:
Hazardous Waste Section
Department of the Environment
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
Phone: 1800 803 772
Fax: 02 6274 1164
You are welcome to call in and see us by appointment.