Specialist racing fuels

The Fuel Standard (Petrol) Determination 2001 (petrol standard), prohibits the supply of petrol containing more than five milligrams of lead per litre. As well as lead, the petrol standard also sets restrictions on the amount of other power boosting substances, such as ethanol, methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) and di-isopropyl ether (DIPE), which are often blended with petrol to make high performance specialist racing fuels.

It is normally an offence under the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000 (the Act) to supply petrol which does not comply with the petrol standard. However, in some circumstances, such as for legitimate motor racing purposes, an approval may be granted by the Minister (or delegate).

The department runs a compliance program to ensure that non compliant fuels are only supplied with an approval and that conditions on each approval are met. Heavy fines apply for offences against the Act of up to $55,000 per offence for individuals and $275 000 per offence for corporations.

Supplying specialist racing fuels

You can only supply specialist racing fuels if you hold, or are covered under, an approval from the Australian Government.

You can usually only supply specialist racing fuels to:

  • current members of a recognised motor sport association or club - evidence might include a current membership card or a letter of introduction from the association or club; or
  • another person who provides evidence that they are an approval holder or regulated person.

To find out whether you are a regulated person, contact your specialist racing fuels distributor or manufacturer. If you are not a regulated person and want to supply specialist racing fuels, you will need to apply for an approval or be listed by your fuel distributor or manufacturer as a regulated person on their approval.

Each approval will allow for the supply of specialist racing fuels only where certain conditions are met. Approval holders and regulated persons must take careful note of, and comply with any conditions.

Significant fines apply for suppliers who do not follow these rules.

Buying specialist racing fuels

You can buy specialist racing fuels from fuel suppliers who hold, or are covered by an approval from the Australian Government.

The fuel will usually only be supplied for legitimate motor sports or events and you will be asked by the supplier to provide evidence that you are a current member of a motor sport association or club.

Specialist racing fuels are approved for use under conditions where safety and environmental risks are controlled and will only be supplied in sealed containers with capacity up to 200 litres, unless otherwise approved by the Australian Government.

Further information


The information contained on this page is of a general nature only and should be read in conjunction with the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000, Fuel Quality Standards Regulations 2001 and the Fuel Quality (Petrol) Standard 2001. Fuel suppliers may wish to seek legal advice about their obligations under this legislation.