In July 2006, the Department implemented a Compliance Auditing Programmme. All projects referred under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (the EPBC Act) are auditable under the programmme.
The compliance audits help to ensure projects with the potential to impact on matters of national environmental significance are implemented as planned. The audits will also help the Australian Government to understand how well approval conditions are being understood and applied, and contribute to improving the effectiveness of the Department's operations.
The Compliance Auditing Programme has to date focused on auditing randomly selected projects that have been approved with conditions or given a 'not controlled action — particular manner' decision*. A more strategic approach is being developed to operate in conjunction with the existing random selection process for selecting audits.
The objectives of the Compliance Auditing Programme are to:
- Measure compliance with conditions attached to approval decisions, and requirements outlined in particular manner decisions
- Identify any non-compliances and ensure they are appropriately addressed through education, remediation or enforcement actions
- Evaluate the effectiveness of approval conditions in protecting matters of national environmental significance
- Improve internal departmental procedures, including condition setting
* Where an action does not require assessment and approval under the EPBC Act provided it is undertaken in a particular manner.
Compliance and enforcement publications
- Compliance and Enforcement Policy: Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 - 2012
- Compliance audits completed in 2013 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2012 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2011 - Summary of findings
- Compliance monitoring and auditing Fact sheet - 2011
- Compliance audits completed in 2010 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2009 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2008 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2007 - Summary of findings
- Burnett River Dam (Paradise Dam) - final compliance audit report - 2007
- Compliance audits completed in 2006 - Summary of findings
For more information about the Compliance Auditing Programme contact:
Director, Monitoring and Audit Section
Department of the Environment
Environment Assessment and Compliance Division
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601