About the Graduate Programme
The Department of the Environment implements Australian Government policies to protect and conserve the environment, water and heritage and promote climate action. Our portfolio responsibilities are high profile, diverse and interesting. We are passionate about protecting and improving Australia’s environment for future generations.
Our Graduate Programme will equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to place you in a competitive position within the Department and the Australian Public Service (APS) while having the opportunity to work in a diverse and exciting portfolio.
As a Graduate, you can play a key role in the development and implementation of policies and programmes which have an impact nationwide or internationally. Some of the areas we work on include:
- environmental protection and conservation of biodiversity
- climate change policy and carbon reduction initiatives
- natural, built and cultural heritage
- water policy and resources
- marine conservation
- administration of the Australian Antarctic Territory
- the National Waste Policy; and
- sustainability policy and analysis
Photo of 2012 Graduates
We look for Graduates who can demonstrate:
- leadership potential
- resilience and the ability to embrace and adapt to change
- sound judgment, common sense and the ability to think strategically
- energy, enthusiasm and initiative
- strong people skills and a team focussed approach; and
- excellent presentation and communication skills
Group photo of 2011 Graduates
We invite applications from all academic disciplines, but are particularly interested in:
- environmental / natural resource management
- water management
- public administration
- business; and
- The programme provides a number of benefits to Graduates including three work rotations in different divisions throughout the Department including external opportunities with the Australian Antarctic Division in Tasmania, Booderee National Park, Kakadu National Park or the Supervising Scientist Division in Darwin.
- Exposure to work that challenges you – and at the same time provides you with opportunities to use and develop your skills
- An innovative, dynamic and supportive workplace with diverse responsibilities
- Comprehensive learning and development opportunities, including $1000 towards individual development
- One on one mentoring from executive and senior executive staff
You will receive a competitive remuneration package, with graduate employes starting as an APS 3.1 level. Upon successful completion of the programme, you will be advanced to the APS 4.3 level and receive a minimum $67 584.
Want to know more?
Our graduate recruitment staff are always happy to answer your questions via email firstname.lastname@example.org or on the phone 02 6274 2200.
For more information including eligibility requirements and access to learning and development, click on the menu links under Graduate Program on the left hand side of this page. You can also get an idea of our diverse work-force by checking out the Graduate Alumni pages.