Environment Protection (Alligator Rivers Region) Act 1978
The Environment Protection (Alligator Rivers Region) Act, 1978 is the primary legislation under which the Supervising Scientist operates. The key functions of this legislation are:
Establish the position of the Supervising Scientist with the following functions:
- To devise, develop, coordinate the implementation of, and assess programs for research into the environmental effects of uranium mining in the Alligator Rivers Region
- To devise, develop and promote standards and practices in relation to uranium mining operations and rehabilitation in the Alligator Rivers Region;
- To coordinate and supervise the implementation of legal requirements, under any relevant legislation, associated with environmental aspects of uranium mining in the Alligator Rivers Region; and
- To advise the Minister for the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts on environmental matters within and beyond the Alligator Rivers Region.
- Establish the Environmental Research Institute of the Supervising Scientist to undertake research into the environmental effects of uranium mining in the Alligator Rivers Region, and into other environmental issues as appropriate;
- Establish the Alligator Rivers Region Advisory Committee as a formal forum for consultation on matters relating to the environmental effects of uranium mining in the Alligator Rivers Region;
- Establish the Alligator Rivers Region Technical Committee to consider and review research programs on the effects of uranium mining in the Alligator Rivers Region.
Other Commonwealth legislation
Other relevant Commonwealth legislation includes:
- Instruments under the Atomic Energy Act 1953 , including the Ranger Environmental Requirements issued under Section 41.
- See also Ranger Environmental Requirements Section 19.2 Explanatory Material: Best Practicable Technology, 16 November 2000 (published by Supervising Scientist Division, Darwin NT)
- Instruments issued under the Commonwealth Environment Protection (Impact of Proposals) Act 1974 including:
- The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- The Environment Protection (Impact of Proposals) Act 1974 has been replaced by the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
- The Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976
- The Customs (Prohibited Export) Regulations 1958
- The Nuclear Non-Proliferation (Safeguards) Act 1987
Northern Territory government legislation that regulates uranium mining includes:
- The Mining Act 2003 and the Mining Regulations
- The Mining Act 1990 and Regulations have been replaced by the Mining Act 2003 and the Mining Regulations 2003.
- Schedule 3 to the Mineral Lease, previously under the Mining Act 1990 and continued under the Mining Act 2003, includes the Environmental Requirements for the Jabiluka Project Area
- The Mining Management Act 2001 and the Mining Management Regulations
- The Uranium Mining (Environment Control) Act 1979 has been replaced by the Mining Management Act 2001 and Mining Management Regulations 2002.
- The Nabarlek Environmental Requirements, previously included as a schedule to the Uranium Mining (Environment Control) Act 1979, are included as a schedule to the Mineral Lease.