For researchers

For researchers

Scientific research, including archaeological and anthropological research, require a permit under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). Depending on the nature and type of research you wish to conduct, you may need several permits.

Please answer all five questions below to determine what permits you require to conduct your research in Kakadu National Park.

If you have answered Yes to questions 1 or 2, you can apply for one or both of those permits by completing the application form below. This application form cannot be used to apply for permits in questions 3, 4 and 5. You will need to follow the links and separately apply for those permits.

Research permit application form (PDF - 225.55 KB)   | Research permit application form (DOCX - 143.83 KB)

If you have any questions please call (08) 8938 1155 or email

1. Are you proposing to undertake scientific research inside Kakadu National Park?

If Yes, you will need a permit issued under Part 12 of the EPBC Regulations and an approval for sections 354 and 354A of the EPBC Act. Please use the above application form.

2. Will your research involve the collection of biological resources from the Kakadu National Park?

If Yes, you will need a permit issued under Part 8A of the EPBC Regulations. You do not need to complete a separate application if you are using the above application form. If you are collecting samples for commercial purposes, you will also need to enter into a benefit sharing agreement.

For more information please see accessing biological resources.

3. Will your research involve killing, injuring, taking, trading, keeping or moving a member of a listed threatened, migratory or marine species or an ecological community; or involve cetaceans?

If Yes, you may need to separately apply for a permit issued under Part 13 of the EBPC Act. You can also search for a listed species on the Species Profile and Threats Database.

You will not need a this permit if:

  1. the action is done inside Kakadu National Park and is authorised under a management plan for the park (please email to see if this applies to your research) or
  2. the species you propose to impact upon is listed as threatened under the EPBC Act and the action is undertaken in accordance with a recovery plan that is in force (please email to see if this applies to your research).

For more information, or to apply for a permit, go to Listed species and ecological communities or Whales, dolphins and porpoises.

4. Do you propose to import or export wildlife?

If Yes, you will need to separately apply for a Part 13A of the EBPC Act.

For more information, or to apply for a permit, please go to Permit to export for non-commercial research purposes.

5. Will your research be done in the Northern Territory but outside Kakadu National Park?

If Yes, please contact the Northern Territory Government to see what permits you may need under Northern Territory law. Please go to Wildlife Permits or call the Parks and Wildlife Commission on +61 (0)8 8999 4795.