National Framework for Compliance and Enforcement Systems for Water Resource Management
Australian Government Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, March 2012
- National Framework for Compliance and Enforcement Systems for Water Resource Management (PDF - 150 KB) | (Word - 80 KB)
The National Framework for Compliance and Enforcement Systems for Water Resource Management provides a nationally consistent approach by strengthening water compliance and enforcement within each State and Territory.
Irrigation water suppliers in western NSW
The Commonwealth is working with the States and Territories over 5 years to implement this $60 million program to improve compliance and enforcement for water resource management.
Key improvements include:
- More consistent water offences, penalties and evidentiary aids.
- A risk-based approach to compliance and enforcement in water resource management.
- A best-practice compliance and enforcement toolkit.
- Appropriate levels of compliance monitoring activity.
- Appropriate levels of public reporting on compliance and enforcement activities.
Increased effort and better systems are required:
- To improve compliance and enforcement of water resource laws.
- For the protection of the environment.
- Integrity of water entitlements.
- To increase public confidence in the management of our water.
Why is this important?
The National Water Compliance Framework:
- protects the rights of water entitlement holders by having extra compliance officers on the ground and by using smart technology to detect non compliance;
- protects water dependent natural ecosystems by focusing compliance efforts on river systems at the highest risk;
- contributes to the sustainability of water use and thereby protects the interests of communities;
- deters the unlawful taking and use of water by improving and harmonising water laws around Australia; and
- treats the unlawful taking and use of water as a national problem with all Australian states and territories implementing strengthened water compliance programs.