Northern Territory Bilateral Agreement Information
On this page, you will find all current documents relating to bilateral agreements under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) between the Commonwealth and the Northern Territory relating to environmental assessment and approval.
Assessment Bilateral Agreement
Agreement between the Commonwealth of Australia and the Northern Territory relating to environmental assessment
Department of the Environment, 11 December 2014
- Northern Territory Assessment Bilateral Agreement (PDF - 1.23 MB) | (DOCX - 186.08 KB)
- Agreement notice (PDF - 15.62 KB) | (DOCX - 22.49 KB)
- Report on comments (PDF - 93.32 KB) | (DOCX - 29.63 KB)
- Statement of reasons (PDF - 1.65 MB) | (DOCX - 61.59 KB)
About the agreement
The bilateral agreement between the Commonwealth of Australia and the Northern Territory relating to environmental assessment (the bilateral agreement) allows the Commonwealth Minister for the Environment to rely on specified environmental impact assessment processes of the Northern Territory in assessing actions under the EPBC Act.
Review of 2007 Agreement
Under s 65(2) of the EPBC Act, a statutory review of the previous assessment bilateral between the Northern Territory and the Commonwealth, which commenced on 29 May 2007, is required. This review was finalised in October 2014 and is now available.
- Review of the Environmental Assessment Bilateral Agreement between the Commonwealth and Northern Territory (PDF - 868.22 KB) | (DOCX - 153.68 KB)
Draft assessment bilateral agreement submissions
Submissions by interested parties on the Northern Territory draft assessment bilateral agreement closed on Tuesday, 6 May 2014.
The Department would like to thank all those who provided submissions.
Approval Bilateral Agreement
Notice of Intent
- Notice of intention to develop a draft bilateral agreement with the Northern Territory relating to environmental approval (PDF - 136.17 KB) | (DOCX - 26.13 KB)
About this notice
Section 45(3) of the EPBC Act requires that the Minister, as soon as practicable after starting the process of developing a draft bilateral agreement with a State or Territory, publish a notice of intention to develop a draft bilateral agreement. The notice is published in the government Gazette, in a daily newspaper that circulates in the relevant State or Territory and on the Department's website.
Invitation to comment on draft agreement
There is no draft agreement currently available for comment
There is no agreement currently in place.