The Australian Government committed $180 million to building the National Reserve System through Caring for our Country in the five years to 2013. The strong progress towards achieving a comprehensive terrestrial National Reserve System under the first phase of Caring for our Country means that the priorities for investment can now shift, from 2013-14, to place a greater emphasis on establishing and managing the marine component of the National Reserve System.
Limited funding may be available for expanding the terrestrial component of the National Reserve System for projects which strongly meet the objectives and priorities set out within the One Land - Many Stories: Prospectus of Investment 2013 - 2014, although there will not be a specific allocation of program funding for this component. For more information, see the Prospectus of Investment 2013-2014 (PDF - 4.7 MB) or the Biodiversity Fund Grant Application Guidelines for Round Two 2013-14 (PDF - 815 KB).
- Visit nrm.gov.au/funding
- Call the Caring for our Country information line on 1800 552 008
- National Reserve System protected area requirements
- Contribution to a comprehensive, adequate and representative (CAR) National Reserve System (PDF - 39KB) (WORD - 349KB)
- Standards for inclusion in the National Reserve System (PDF - 43 KB)
- Priorities for expansion of the National Reserve System (PDF - 62 KB)
- Australian Guidelines for establishing the National Reserve System
- Under represented bioregions map
- Listing of National Reserve System funding grants
Information about land purchases
- What is an NRS land purchase MERI plan? (WORD doc - 245KB)
- What are Interim Management Guidelines? (PDF - 34KB) (WORD - 307KB)
- Plan of Management Guidelines