« North Commonwealth Marine Reserves Network
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR MARINE USERS
Transitional arrangements for new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserve estate
From the declaration of Commonwealth marine reserves in November 2012 until management plans come into effect in July 2014, transitional arrangements apply.
- Under the transitional arrangements, there are NO CHANGES ON THE WATER for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserves estate.
- NOTE: There are no changes to management arrangements in the marine reserves that existed prior to the establishment of the new reserves, that is, the same restrictions on activities will continue to apply even where those reserves have been incorporated into new reserves.
Name||Arnhem Commonwealth Marine Reserve|
Area|| 7125 km2
Depth range||5-30 m (approx.)
Types of zoning
- Special Purpose Zone - IUCN Category VI-7125 km2
Major conservation values
- Important resting area for turtles between egg laying (internesting area), for the threatened flatback turtle
- Important foraging habitat for breeding aggregations of the:
- migratory bridled tern
- migratory roseate tern
- listed marine crested tern
- Examples of the ecosystems of the Northern Shelf Province (including the Arafura, Arnhem-Wessel and Cobourg meso-scale bioregions)