Zoning and activities
Six types of zones are represented within the Coral Sea Commonwealth Marine Reserve.
- Marine National Park Zone (IUCN II)
- Conservation Park Zone (IUCN IV)
- Habitat Protection Zone (Coral Sea) (IUCN IV)
- Habitat Protection Zone (Seamounts) (IUCN IV)
- Multiple Use Zone (IUCN VI)
- General Use Zone (IUCN VI)
From 17 November 2012 and until a management plan is in effect, there are no 'on-the-water' changes for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserve estate. The below activity table provides general advice on zoning and allowed activities that will apply once the management plan comes into effect on 1 July 2014.
- Zoning activity scheme - Overview of Zoning Scheme for the Coral Sea Commonwealth Marine Reserve (PDF - 146 KB) | (Word - 409 KB)
Activities allowed in former reserves/conservation zone
Information on transitional arrangements and activities allowed in the former Commonwealth marine reserves within the Coral Sea Commonwealth Marine Reserve is available on the individual reserve pages.
- Former Coral Sea Conservation Zone
- Former Coringa-Herald National Nature Reserve
- Former Lihou Reef National Nature Reserve