Working with Indigenous knowledge in natural resource management
Commonwealth of Australia, 2004
ISBN 642 255 0336
About the publication
This short report is drawn from the Workshop Outcomes Report of an Indigenous Knowledge Forum, held at Alice Springs on 28-29 May 2003.
The purpose of this report is to suggest ways to improve community engagement so that Indigenous knowledge works effectively with regional natural resource management.
The report outlines:
- the issues involved in supporting Indigenous knowledge
- a framework of principles for engagement with Indigenous knowledge
- a partnership approach
- an Indigenous Knowledge Support (IKS) Plan
- an Indigenous Natural Resource Management (INRM) planning process
- protocols for working together
- recommendations to improve community engagement processes.