Monitoring and evaluation of protected areas are becoming increasingly important in Australia and internationally to measure and communicate 'management effectiveness' - how effective Indigenous Protected Areas are in protecting the natural and cultural values they aim to protect.
A robust monitoring and evaluation framework will assist your Indigenous Protected Area to measure your progress towards implementing your management plan and other government funding agreements. A monitoring and evaluation framework can also inform funding bodies of the progress you have made with your project in delivering contracted environmental services.
The framework will assist your reporting and help you to adapt and improve the future planning and management of your Indigenous Protected Area and achieve the aspirations of the traditional landowners.
A summary of the monitoring and evaluation framework should be included in your IPA Management Plan, consistent with the Our Country Our Way: Guidelines for Australian Indigenous Protected Area Management Plans.
The following monitoring and evaluation guidelines outline a basic set of principles that underpin and support the development of the monitoring and evaluation framework.
The first step in developing your monitoring and evaluation framework is to draw up a Program Logic for the project. Guidelines for developing a Program Logic are included as part of the IPA Managers Toolkit. A Program Logic is a simple 'road map' or diagram showing the thinking and rationale behind your project.
Both the Program Logic and monitoring and evaluation framework should be done through a participatory consultation process involving the 'right' people who can appropriately speak for country.
Below are three examples of existing Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Improvement (MERI) plans to assist with plan development:
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Improvement (MERI) Plan for Marthakal Indigenous Protected Area - Stage 1 (Land Areas) (PDF - 1.16MB)
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Improvement (MERI) Plan for Nantawarrina Indigenous Protected Area (PDF - 681KB)
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Improvement (MERI) Plan for Yalata Indigenous Protected Area (PDF - 765KB)
Below are three examples of existing program logics to assist with development:
- Angas Downs IPA program logic (PDF - 650KB)
- Ninghan IPA program logic (PDF - 184KB)
- Program logic model for the Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre's Land Management Program (PDF - 49KB)