Roslyn Russell, Kylie Winkworth
© Commonwealth of Australia, 2010
ISBN 97 80977544363 (pbk)
"Significance defines the meanings and values of a cultural heritage item or collection through research and analysis, and by assessment against a standard set of criteria."
Significance 2.0 was written by Roslyn Russell and Kylie Winkworth for the former Collections Council of Australia.
The content of this online edition of Significance 2.0 is the same as in the printed and PDF versions. However, the layout is a bit different because it's designed for the web. Additionally, Part 6 of this online edition includes case studies not available in the printed and PDF versions.
In the online edition, you can move ahead or back via the 'next' and 'previous' buttons on every page. You can also access the Table of Contents for the online edition by clicking on the 'contents' button on every page.
We recommend that you use the page references in the PDF version of Significance 2.0 in order to cite pages in the text for scholarly or training purposes.
Please view the Commonwealth’s copyright notice and disclaimer for Significance 2.0 at www.environment.gov.au/heritage/publications/significance2-0/disclaimer.html
Significance 2.0 was originally published in 2009 by the Collections Council of Australia, a national collections sector industry council established and supported by the Cultural Ministers Council from 2004 until April 2010.
The Department became the custodian and copyright holder of Significance 2.0 in May 2010. Please use the link above to the Commonwealth’s copyright notice and disclaimer for Significance 2.0 for more information.
- Part 1 — Introducing Significance 2.0
- Part 2 — Why significance?
- Part 3 — Significance: concept and process
- Part 4 — The significance assessment process
- Part 5 — The statement of significance
- Part 6 — Significance in action — applications
- Part 7 — National and international significance
- Web resources
- Additional Significance Resources
- Copyright and Disclaimer
If you have a low bandwidth connection you may prefer to download the publication in parts.
- Foreword (PDF - 136 KB)
- Preface (PDF - 97 KB)
- Part 1 — Introducing Significance 2.0 (PDF - 53 KB)
- Part 2 — Why significance? (PDF - 61 KB)
- Distributed collections and significance (PDF - 615 KB)
- Part 3 — Significance: concept and process (PDF - 151 KB)
- Provenance (PDF - 563 KB)
- Part 4 — The significance assessment process (PDF - 545 KB)
- Context (PDF - 425 KB)
- Part 5 — The statement of significance (PDF - 133 KB)
- Principles for good practice with significance (PDF - 100 KB)
- Part 6 — Significance in action — applications (PDF - 280 KB)
- Part 7 — National and international significance (PDF - 644 KB)
- Conclusion (PDF - 42 KB)
- Glossary and Acronyms (PDF - 64 KB)
- Endnotes (PDF - 56 KB)
- Bibliography and Web resources(PDF - 59 KB)
- Acknowledgements (PDF - 45 KB)
- Index (PDF - 109 KB)
Additional Significance Resources: