World Heritage Places - Tasmanian Wilderness - Resources
2014 Proposal for a minor boundary modification
The documents submitted to the World Heritage Committee in 2014 requesting a minor boundary modification to reduce the size of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area are available for download.
The World Heritage Committee did not support the Government’s request at its meeting in Doha on 23 June 2014.
The Government has accepted the decision of the World Heritage Committee.
- Covering letter from Minister Hunt (PDF - 185.93 KB)
- Proposal for a minor modification to the boundary of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area (PDF - 272.21 KB)
- Map 1: Existing and proposed boundary (PDF - 1.92 MB)
- Map 2: Proposed boundary (PDF - 2.35 MB)
- Map 3: Proposed boundary with retained area (PDF - 2.44 MB)
- Map 4: Proposed boundary relative to 2013 boundary (PDF - 2.53 MB)
- Letter to the WHC from Minister Hunt (PDF - 380.19 KB)
2013 Boundary extension
A series of maps showing the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area and the extensions to the area are available for download.
- Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area boundary map (PDF - 3.21 MB)
- Boundary map showing 2010, 2012 and 2013 extensions (PDF - 3.49 MB)
- 15 detailed maps showing the 2013 boundary extension (PDF - 45.12 MB)
The information below was used by the World Heritage Committee and its members to make its decision to extend the boundary in June 2013.
- Dossier for the proposed boundary extension (PDF - 7.24 MB)
- Supplementary information (PDF - 3.89 MB)
- Map 1: Tasmanian Wilderness - Existing and Revised Boundary (PDF - 3.58 MB)
- Map 2: Tasmanian Wilderness - Revised Boundary (PDF - 3.67 MB)
- Map A: Tasmanian Wilderness - Formal Reserves within the Revised Boundary (PDF - 3.62 MB)
- Map B: Giant Trees (PDF - 2.09 MB)
- Map C: Tall Eucalypt Forests within WHA and Proposed Addition (PDF - 3.57 MB)
- Map D: Tall Eucalypt Forests - connection and context across the WHA and Proposed Addition (PDF - 5.21 MB)
Official listing information
Visit the UNESCO web site for official listing information on the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area:
State of Conservation Reporting
From time to time, the World Heritage Committee requests specific reports on the state of conservation of properties included on the World Heritage List. Australia provided a state of conservation report on the Tasmanian Wilderness to the World Heritage Centre in early 2015.
- State Party Report on the state of conservation of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area (Australia) - 2015
- Australia's state of conservation report on the Tasmanian Wilderness (Australia) made in 2012
- Australia’s state of conservation report on the Tasmanian Wilderness (Australia) made in 2010
Spatial data as an ESRI shapefile format representing the area extent of all of Australia’s World Heritage Areas - with the metadata title "Australia, World Heritage Areas" is held by the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities and is available to the public via download: