World Heritage Places - The Ningaloo Coast
In June 2011 the World Heritage Committee inscribed the Ningaloo Coast on the World Heritage List.
World Heritage listing recognises the outstanding universal value of the area's diverse and abundant marine life, its amazing cave fauna and the spectacular contrast between the colourful underwater scenery and the arid and rugged land of the Cape Range.
The World Heritage Committee has inscribed a smaller boundary for the Ningaloo Coast than originally nominated. The boundary encompasses what the World Heritage Committee considered to be the Ningaloo Coast's key marine and terrestrial values of outstanding universal value.
The Ningaloo Coast World Heritage area boundary excludes all areas under pastoral lease.
Click an image for a larger view.
Map of the inscribed Ningaloo Coast World Heritage area
Ningaloo Coast World Heritage Nomination
- Full document (PDF - 10.09 MB) | (RTF - 3.12 MB)
- Cover page, content and executive summary (PDF - 356.96 KB)
- Part 1 - Identification of the property (PDF - 438.88 KB)
- Part 2 - Description (PDF - 3.83 MB)
- Part 3 - Justification for Inscription (PDF - 1.09 MB)
- Part 4 - State of conservation and factors affecting the property (PDF - 513.85 KB)
- Part 5 - Protection and Management of the property (PDF - 714.47 KB)
- Part 6 - Monitoring (PDF - 464.76 KB)
- Part 7 - Documentation (PDF - 302.71 KB)
- Part 8 - Contact information of responsible authorities (PDF - 139.51 KB)
- Part 9 - Signature on behalf of the State Party (PDF - 162.37 KB)
- Acknowledgments and Appendices (PDF - 523.99 KB)
Other Ningaloo Coast documents
- Ningaloo Coast Strategic Management Framework (PDF - 1.07 MB) | (RTF - 430.8 KB)
- Ningaloo Coast World Heritage Nomination - questions and answers (PDF - 28.69 KB) | (RTF - 198.13 KB)
- Nominated boundary map (PDF - 2.46 MB)
If you would like a hardcopy of the nomination document or more information about the nomination, please contact the World Heritage team at:
Ningaloo Coast World Heritage Team
Department of the Environment
PO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2600