National Vegetation Information System, Version 6.0
Executive Steering Committee for Australian Vegetation Information (ESCAVI)
Department of the Environment and Heritage, 2003
ISBN 0 642 54953 2
- Download Australian Vegetation Attribute Manual - PDF (vegetation-attribute-manual-6.pdf - 1452 KB)
- Download Australian Vegetation Attribute Manual - zipped Word (vegetation-attribute-manual-6.zip - 1270 KB)
- Section One: Introduction
- Section Two: The NVIS Framework - Concepts and Standard Procedures
- Section Three: Attributes Defined and Described
- Section Four: Rules for Checking Data
- Appendix A: Glossary
- Appendix B: Recommended Abbreviations and Contractions for Entering Taxonomic Data into NVIS
- Appendix C: NVIS Database Structure Version 6.0
- Appendix D: List of NVIS Database Fields by Table
- Appendix E: Acknowledgments - Australian Vegetation Attributes Versions 1.0-6.0
- Appendix F: History of Australian Vegetation Attributes Versions 1.0-6.0
- Appendix G: Summary of Changes - Australian Vegetation Attributes 5.0-6.0
- Appendix H: References
- Appendix I: Obsolete Attributes
- Appendix J: Worked Example
- The NVIS Information Hierarchy
- NVIS (sub-)stratum codes and descriptions
- Height classes defined for the NVIS
- NVIS structural formation terminology
- Using the up-arrow or 'hat' notation
- Example usage of the NVIS Information Hierarchy
- NVIS attribute requirements
- Codes used to describe unknown or missing information
- National Vegetation Information System Framework
- Vegetation profiles for two different vegetation types, showing the flexibility in assignment of sub-strata
- Graphical summary of cover values for an NVIS description at Level V
- The NVIS vegetation attribute structure v.6.0
ESCAVI would like to thank the following people for their input and assistance in compiling this version of the manual:
- Sarah Sharpe, Mark Dunford and Greg Keen, Environment ACT, Department of Urban Affairs and Planning, Australian Capital Territory.
- Peter Brocklehurst, Department of Lands, Planning and Environment, Northern Territory.
- Ross Peacock, Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Natural Resources, New South Wales.
- Bruce Wilson and John Neldner, Botanical Sciences (Queensland Herbarium), Environmental Protection Agency, Queensland.
- Felicity Smith, Department for Environment and Heritage, South Australia.
- Sophie Underwood and Anne Kitchener, Department of Primary Industry, Water and Environment, Tasmania.
- David Parkes, Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria.
- Damien Shepherd, Department of Agriculture, Western Australia.
- Matt Bolton, Gaston Rozenbilds and Leo Berzins, Department of the Environment and Heritage, Commonwealth.
- Richard Thackway, Sabrina Sonntag and Evert Bleys, Bureau of Rural Sciences.
Please see Appendix E for list of acknowledgements for all versions.
© Commonwealth of Australia 2003
Published by the Department of Environment and Heritage, Canberra.
ISBN 0 642 54953 2
Published August 2003
This work is copyright. Information presented in this document may be reproduced in whole or in part for study or training purposes, subject to the inclusion of acknowledgment of the source and provided no commercial usage or sale of the material occurs. Reproduction for purposes other than those given requires written permission from the Department of the Environment and Heritage. Requests for permission should be addressed to Assistant Secretary, Knowledge Management and Education Branch, Environment Australia, GPO Box 787, Canberra, ACT, 2601.
Executive Steering Committee for Australian Vegetation Information (ESCAVI) (2003) Australian Vegetation Attribute Manual: National Vegetation Information System, Version 6.0. Department of the Environment and Heritage, Canberra.