Significant impact guidelines for the vulnerable water mouse Xeromys myoides
Draft EPBC Act policy statement
Nationally threatened species and ecological communities
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, November 2009
- Draft EPBC Act policy statement - Significant impact guidelines for the vulnerable water mouse Xeromys myoides (PDF - 177 KB) | (Word - 265 KB)
- Draft background paper to EPBC Act policy statement (PDF - 1.26 MB) | (Word - 2.27 MB)
- Water mouse (Xeromys myoides) Map - Australia (PDF - 945 KB)
- Water mouse (Xeromys myoides) Map - Northern Territory (PDF - 1.64 MB)
- Water mouse (Xeromys myoides) Map - central south Queensland (PDF - 1.46 MB)
- Water mouse (Xeromys myoides) Map - south-east Queensland (PDF - 1.39 MB)
About this draft policy statement
The water mouse (Xeromys myoides) is listed as vulnerable under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
This policy statement is intended to provide guidance for stakeholders in determining whether a proposed action may have a significant impact on the water mouse.
The policy statement should be read in conjunction with Significant impact guidelines 1.1 - matters of national environmental significance.
There may be other EPBC Act policy statements which provide further guidance.
About the public comment process
The key elements of the policy statement were developed during an expert workshop in 2009 with scientific experts, state and territory threatened species officers and environmental consultants.
Final comments are now being sought from interested parties on the policy statement, particularly in relation to its usability and suggestions for improvement. We would also be interested in any new research or information on the species to contribute to future policy revisions.
The public comment period closed on 18 December 2009.
- Draft national recovery plan for the water mouse (false water rat) Xeromys myoides
- False Water Rat (Xeromys myoides) - fact sheet - 2003
- False Water Rat (Xeromys myoides) - fact sheet - 2002
- Xeromys myoides - water mouse, false water rat - SPRAT