In July 2006, the Department implemented a Compliance Auditing Plan. All projects that have been determined as not a controlled action - particular manner* (NCA-PM) and controlled actions (CA) under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (the EPBC Act) and permits granted under the Environment Protection (Sea Dumping) Act 1981 are auditable under the plan.
Compliance audits help to ensure projects with the potential to impact on matters of national environmental significance are implemented as planned. The audits will also help the Australian Government to understand how well approval conditions are being understood and applied, and contribute to improving the effectiveness of the Department's operations.
The Department’s annual Compliance Monitoring Plans describe the compliance monitoring activities that are proposed for each financial year. The Compliance Auditing Plan is a component of the annual Compliance Monitoring Plans.
Compliance Auditing Plan
The Compliance Auditing Plan focuses on projects across all sectors including mining and energy, government, transport, ports and marine, urban development, tourism and recreation. Projects can be chosen for audit based on either a random selection process or a risk-focused strategic selection process.
The objectives of the Compliance Auditing Plan are to:
- Measure compliance with conditions attached to approval and permit decisions, and requirements outlined in particular manner decisions
- Identify any non-compliances and ensure they are appropriately addressed through education, remediation or enforcement actions
- Evaluate conditions and requirements for enforceability, comprehension and ease of assessment
- Demonstrate to the community that there are systems in place for measuring and enforcing compliance
Compliance and enforcement publications
- Compliance and Enforcement Policy: Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 - 2012
- Compliance audits completed in 2015 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2014 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2013 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2012 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2011 - Summary of findings
- Compliance monitoring and auditing Fact sheet - 2011
- Compliance audits completed in 2010 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2009 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2008 - Summary of findings
- Compliance audits completed in 2007 - Summary of findings
- Burnett River Dam (Paradise Dam) - final compliance audit report - 2007
- Compliance audits completed in 2006 - Summary of findings
- Independent Audit and Audit Report Guidelines - 2015
For more information about the Compliance Auditing Plan contact:
Director, Audit and Assurance Section
Department of the Environment
Environment Assessment and Compliance Division
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
* Where an action does not require assessment and approval under the EPBC Act provided it is undertaken in a particular manner.