Experts on threatened species, the conservation of biological diversity, and Indigenous management of land and biological diversity have been appointed to advise the Australian Government Environment Minister under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
One of the objects of the EPBC Act is to promote a cooperative approach to the protection and management of the environment, involving governments, the community, landholders and Indigenous people. The advisory committees are one means of doing this. Each committee has a particular role to play in assisting the Australian Government to protect Australia's unique environment.
- Biological Diversity Advisory Committee
- Indigenous Advisory Committee
- Independent Expert Scientific Committee on Coal Seam Gas and Large Coal Mining Development (IESC)
- Interim Independent Expert Scientific Committee on Coal Seam Gas and Coal Mining
- Threatened Species Scientific Committee