The AuSSI vision is:
For all Australian schools and their communities to be sustainable.
AuSSI aims to achieve the following goals:
- Learning and teaching for sustainability as an integral component of school curricula.
- Schools actively engaging in a continuous cycle of planning, implementing and reviewing their approach to sustainability as part of their everyday operations.
- Schools using natural resources, including energy, water, waste and biodiversity, in more sustainable ways.
- Schools and school authorities reporting on changes towards sustainability.
- Schools working towards sustainability in partnership with their local communities.
- Schools and school authorities implementing polices and practices that support effective education for sustainability.
- Schools and communities developing values that support a sustainability ethos.
- Young people sharing ownership of sustainability initiatives and decision making.
- Individuals supported to make effective sustainability decisions and choices.
AuSSI is based on the following guiding principles:
- Seeking to develop a school culture committed to the principles of sustainable development.
- Seeking to go beyond awareness raising to action learning and integration with school curricula.
- Encouraging the involvement of the whole school.
- Encouraging the involvement of a school's local community and a shift in the broader community towards more sustainable practices and processes.
- Seeking to develop relationships with other areas that impact on the organisation and management of a school.
- Being founded on a sound basis of theory and practice in schools and school systems, quality teaching and learning, and environmental education for sustainability.
- Encouraging schools to achieve measurable social, environmental, educational and financial outcomes.
The Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative (AuSSI) seeks to support schools and their communities to become sustainable