Environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of Fisheries, Western Australia, December 2005
- Appendix 4.1 - Northern Shark Fisheries Status Report (PDF - 112 KB)
- Appendix 4.2 - Stock assessment of the sandbar shark, carcharhinus plumbeus (PDF - 435 KB)
- Appendix 4.3 - North Coast Shark Fishing (Professional) Notice 1993 (PDF - 25 KB)
- Appendix 4.4 - Exemption (PDF - 47 KB)
- Appendix 4.5 - Summary of approved management measures and their estimated impact on each of the shark fisheries (PDF - 27 KB)
- Appendix 4.6 - References (PDF - 30 KB)
- Appendix 4.7 - Acronyms (PDF - 22 KB)
About the submission
The Department of the Environment and Heritage (DEH) has received a submission – Application to the Australian Government Department of Environment and Heritage on the Western Australian Tropical Shark Fisheries (covering the Western Australia North Coast Shark Fishery and the Joint Authority Northern Shark Fishery) from the Department of Fisheries, Western Australia (DFWA). The report has been prepared against the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries (the Guidelines). The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Western Australian Tropical Shark Fisheries, as managed consistent with the Western Australian Fish Resources Management Act 1994, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Western Australian Tropical Shark Fisheries in accordance with the Western Australian Fish Resources Management Act 1994.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal. Closing date for comments is Monday 16 January 2006.
Electronic copies of the Guidelines are available from the DEH website at http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/fisheries/index.html or a hard copy can be mailed to you upon request. The submission is available for downloading below.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment and Heritage
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6274 1006, or email
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment and Heritage for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.