Environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of Fisheries, Western Australia, June 2008
- Application to the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts on the South Coast Trawl Fishery (PDF - 102 KB)
- Attachment A - Description and Scope of the South Coast Trawl Fishery (Word - 116 KB)
- Attachment 2A - South Coast Trawl Fishery State of the Fisheries Status Report 05/06 (Word - 29 KB)
- Attachment 2B - South Coast Trawl Fishery State of the Fisheries Status Report 06/07 (Word - 28 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Western Australia (WA) South Coast Trawl Fishery is valid until 31 August 2008 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Heritage, Water and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission – Application to the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts on the South Coast Trawl Fishery , from the Department of Fisheries, Western Australia in June 2008. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the WA South Coast Trawl Fishery as managed consistent with the WA Fish Resources Management Act 1994, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the WA South Coast Trawl Fishery under the provisions of the WA Fish Resources Management Act 1994.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opens Tuesday 17 June 2008. Closing date for comments is Monday 14 July 2008.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Policy and Assessment Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6274 2455, or email email@example.com
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Policy and Assessment Section on (02) 6274 1917.