Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, 2009
- Annual status report 2006 (PDF - 368 KB) | (RTF - 3,388 KB)
- Annual status report 2007 (PDF - 383 KB) | (RTF - 1,794 KB)
- Annual status report 2008 (PDF - 204 KB) | (RTF - 2,317 KB)
- Annual status report 2009 (PDF - 198 KB) | (RTF - 2,433 KB)
- Performance Measurement System - Version 1 November 2008 (PDF - 148 KB) | (RTF - 2,223 KB)
- Progress against DEWHA conditions and recommendations (PDF - 132 KB) | (RTF - 1,464 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Queensland East Coast Pearl Fishery is valid until 20 January 2010 and the fishery is now due for reassessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission - East Coast Pearl Fishery 2009 Progress against DEWHA conditions and recommendations, Annual status report 2009 East Coast Pearl Fishery, Performance Measurement System Queensland East Coast Pearl Fishery November 2008, Annual status report 2008 East Coast Pearl Fishery, Annual status report East Coast Pearl Fishery 2007 and Annual status report 2006 East Coast Pearl Fishery March 2006 from Fisheries Queensland in December 2009. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Queensland East Coast Pearl Fishery as managed consistent with the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994, Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008 and Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Regulations 1983 as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Queensland East Coast Pearl Fishery under the provisions of the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994, Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008 and Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Regulations 1983.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opens 10 December 2009 and the closing date for comments is Friday 15 January 2010.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.