Agency submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Fisheries Queensland, March 2011
Agency submission on ecological sustainability
- The agency submission - East Coast Beche-de-mer Fishery 2010 Progress against SEWPaC conditions and recommendations (PDF - 122KB) - call for comment open from 28 March 2011 until 29 April 2011
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the Rotational Zoning Scheme for the Queensland East Coast BÍche-de-mer Fishery (PDF - 682KB)
- Annual Status Report 2010 East Coast Beche-de-mer Fishery (PDF - 245KB)
- Annual Status Report 2009 East Coast Beche-de-mer Fishery (PDF - 200KB)
- Annual Status Report 2008 East Coast Beche-de-mer Fishery (PDF - 242KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Queensland East Coast Beche-de-mer Fishery is valid until 20 June 2011 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities received a submission, Progress against SEWPaC conditions and recommendations and annual status reports from 2008 to 2010, from Fisheries Queensland in March 2011. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the previous department assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Queensland East Coast Beche-de-mer Fishery as managed consistent with the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008, as an approved wildlife trade operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- inclusion in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Queensland East Coast Beche-de-mer Fishery under the provisions of the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and the Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Call for public comments open from 28 March 2011 until 29 April 2011.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374 or email email@example.com
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.