Environmental assessment under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
Fisheries Queensland, March 2012
Agency submission on ecological sustainaiblity
The current export approval for the Queensland Coral Fishery is valid until 1 July 2012 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities received an application from Fisheries Queensland for the Queensland Coral Fishery in March 2012. The application has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd Edition and to provide updates on the implementation of conditions and recommendations made in the previous Australian Government assessment. The application will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Part 13 and Part 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Queensland Coral Fishery, as managed consistent with the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008, as an approved wildlife trade operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Queensland Coral Fishery under the provisions of the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Download the submission
- Queensland Coral Fishery 2011 - Progress against SEWPaC conditions and recommendations (PDF - 114KB)
- Annual status report 2009 - Queensland Coral Fishery (PDF - 346KB)
- Annual status report 2010 - Queensland Coral Fishery (PDF - 335KB)
- Annual status report 2011 - Queensland Coral Fishery (PDF - 278KB)
Call for public comments open from 2 April 2012 until 4 May 2012.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section (02) 6274 1917.