Submission for environmental assessment under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- Blue Swimmer Crab Fishery 2010 Progress against DEWHA conditions and recommendations (PDF - 184 KB)
- Blue Swimmer Crab Fishery 2009 Progress against DEWHA conditions and recommendations (PDF - 128 KB)
- Annual status report 2010 Blue Swimmer Crab Fishery (PDF - 423 KB)
- Annual status report 2009 Blue Swimmer Crab Fishery (PDF - 543 KB)
- Annual status report 2008 Blue Swimmer Crab Fishery (PDF 358 - KB)
- Ecological risk assessment of Queensland's Blue Swimmer, Spanner and Mud Crab Fisheries (PDF - 296 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the BSCF is valid until 19 October 2010 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission from the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, Queensland Government in May 2010.
The submission has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the BSCF as managed consistent with the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and the Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the BSCF under the provisions of the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and the Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Call for public comments closes 2 August 2010.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374 or email
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Environment Protection, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.