Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of Primary Industry, Fisheries and Mines, 2008
- Northern Territory Timor Reef Fishery - Re-Assessment Report (PDF - 117 KB)
- Northern Territory Timor Reef Fishery Status Report 2006 (PDF - 398 KB)
- Northern Territory Timor Reef Fishery Status Report 2005 (PDF - 435 KB)
- Northern Territory Timor Reef Fishery Status Report 2004 (PDF - 227 KB)
- Northern Territory Timor Reef Fishery Status Report 2003 (PDF - 119 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Northern Territory (NT) Timor Reef Fishery is valid until 11 May 2008 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission - Northern Territory Timor Reef Fishery Re-assessment Report February 2008, from the NT Department of Primary Industry, Fisheries and Mines in February 2008. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the 2003 DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the NT Timor Reef Fishery management regime in force under the NT Fisheries Regulations 2007 and the NT Fisheries Act 1988, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the NT Timor Reef Fishery management regime in force under the Northern Territory Fisheries Regulations and the NT Fisheries Act 1988, in accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Invitation for comment closed Tuesday 1st April 2008.