Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of the Environment and Heritage, 18 August 2003
Department of the Environment and Heritage (DEH) has received a submission - Draft assessment report - Western Trawl Fisheries - from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA). AFMA has prepared the report under the strategic assessment framework of section 146 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). The report will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 10, 13 and 13A of the EPBC Act.
Under Part 13A of the EPBC Act, consideration will be given to either:
- declaring the Western Trawl Fisheries as managed consistent with the Fisheries Management Act 1991, as an approved Wildlife Trade Operation under Section 303FN, or
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, fish species harvested in the Western Trawl Fisheries in accordance with the Fisheries Management Act 1991.
Electronic copies of the submission are available from the AFMA website at www.afma.gov.au or a hard copy can be mailed to you upon request.
- More about the Western Trawl Fisheries
- Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries (the Guidelines)
- Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- The Australian Government
- Australian Seafood Industry Council
- Australian Antarctic Division
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window