Agency submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Australian Fisheries Management Authority, 2012
Agency submission on ecological sustainability
About the submission
The current export approvals for the Commonwealth Western Deepwater Trawl Fishery and the North West Slope Trawl Fishery (collectively known as the Western Trawl Fisheries) are valid until 26 April 2012 and the fisheries are now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities received an application, Status Report for Re-assessment for Export Approval under the EBPC Act and attachments, from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority in February 2012. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd Edition and to provide updates on the implementation of conditions and recommendations made in the previous Australian Government assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fisheries for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Western Trawl Fisheries, as managed consistent with the Fisheries Management Act 1991, as an approved wildlife trade operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- inclusion in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Western Trawl Fisheries under the provisions of the Fisheries Management Act 1991.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Download the submission
- Status Report for Re-assessment for Export Approval under the EBPC Act (PDF - 986KB)
- Attachment 1 - Final conditions to the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) for the North West Slope Trawl Fishery (NWSTF) and the Western Deepwater Trawl Fishery (WDTF) (PDF - 32KB)
- Attachment 2 - Harvest Strategy for the Western Deepwater Trawl Fishery and the North West Slope Trawl Fishery 2011 (PDF -3889KB)
The call for public comments is open from 1 March 2012 until 2 April 2012.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section (02) 6274 1917.