Strategic assessment under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, September 2009
- Submission for environmental assessment report (PDF - 276 KB) | (RTF - 6,987 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery is valid until 01 December 2009 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission - Annual Status Report Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority in September 2009. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery as managed consistent with the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery Management Plan Fishery 2005 in force under the Fisheries Management Act 1991, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery under the provisions of the Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery Management Plan Fishery 2005 in force under the Fisheries Management Act 1991.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opens 18 September 2009 and the closing date for comments is 23 October 2009.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374 or email
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.
- Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- The Australian Government
- Australian Seafood Industry Council
- Australian Antarctic Division
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window