Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Australian Fishery Management Authority, March 2009
- Draft Strategic Assesment Report, Small Pelagic Fishery (PDF - 149 KB) | (RTF - 1,098 KB)
- Status Report May 2009, Small Pelagic Fishery (PDF - 99 KB) | (RTF - 269 KB)
- Status Report January 2009, Small Pelagic Fishery (PDF - 154 KB) | (RTF - 646 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Small Pelagics Fishery is valid until 5 December 2010, however with the introduction of a new Plan of Management for the Small Pelagics Fishery, the fishery needs to undergo a Strategic Assessment and reassessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission – Annual Status Report Small Pelagic Fishery Wildlife Trade January 2009, Status Report Small Pelagic Fishery Wildlife Trade Operation May 2009, Draft Strategic Assessment Report Small Pelagic Fishery March 2009 from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority in May 2009.
The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries - 2nd Edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 10, 13 and 13A of the EPBC Act.
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Small Pelagics Fishery as managed consistent with the Small Pelagics Fishery Management Plan 2009 in force under the Fisheries Management Act 1991, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Small Pelagics Fishery under the provisions of the Small Pelagics Fishery Management Plan 2009 in force under the Fisheries Management Act 1991.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opens 15 May 2009 and the closing date for comments is 15 June 2009.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374 or email
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please contact me on (02) 6274 1917.