The current export approval for the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery (ETBF) is valid until 20 January 2011 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities received a submission - AFMA submission for reassessment of the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery 2010 from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) in November 2010. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries - 2nd Edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original departmental assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 10, 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the ETBF as managed consistent with the proposed Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery Management Plan 2010 and the Fisheries Management Act 1991, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- inclusion in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the ETBF under the provisions of the proposed Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery Management Plan 2010 and the Fisheries Management Act 1991.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Download the submission
- AFMA submission for reassessment of the Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery 2010
- Attachment 1 - BRS ETBF Fisheries Status Report 2009
- Attachment 2 - Map displaying the area of the ETBF
- Attachment 3 - ABARE Fisheries Statistics 2009
- Attachment 4 - Threat Abatement Plan 2006
- Attachment 5 - 2009 AFMA Observer data
- Attachment 6 - Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery Sea Turtle Mitigation Plan (TMP)
- Attachment 7 - Bycatch and Discarding Workplan
- Attachment 8 - ETBF map of seabird closure
- Attachment 9 - Ecological Risk Management
- Attachment 11 - ETBF Bycatch & Discard Workplan Annual Progress Report
Call for public comments open from Wednesday 10 November 2010 to Friday 10 December 2010. The proposed Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery Management Plan 2010 is available for you to refer to on the AFMA website: www.afma.gov.au/managing-our-fisheries/fisheries-a-to-z-index/eastern-tuna-and-billfish-fishery/notices-and-announcements/ during its public comment from Monday 8 November 2010 until Wednesday 8 December 2010.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.