Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Australian Fisheries Management Authority, September 2008
- Annual Status Report (2008) - CCAMLR New and Exploratory Fisheries in the CCAMLR Region (PDF - 514 KB)
- Attachment 1 Conservation Measures 2008 resessessment report - CCAMLR New and Exploratory fisheries (PDF - 1497 KB)
- DAFF Response - (PDF 132 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the New and Exploratory Fisheries in the CCAMLR Region is valid until 25 November 2008 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission - Annual Status Report CCAMLR New and Exploratory Fisheries from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority in September 2008. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the New and Exploratory Fisheries in the CCAMLR Region as managed consistent with the Fisheries Management Act 1991 as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the New and Exploratory Fisheries in the CCAMLR Region as managed consistent with the Fisheries Management Act 1991.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opened Thursday 11 September 2008 and the closing date for comments was Friday 10 October 2008.