Under section 146 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act), the Commonwealth Environment Minister may agree to conduct a strategic assessment of actions that may be carried out under a proposed policy, program or plan.
Strategic assessments under section 146 of the EPBC Act:
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
- Heathcote Ridge, West Menai (New South Wales)
- Upper Hunter (New South Wales)
- Lower Hunter (New South Wales)
- Western Sydney growth centres (New South Wales)
- Fire management policy (South Australia)
- Midlands Water Scheme (Tasmania)
- Melbourne's urban growth boundary (Victoria)
- BHP Billiton mining iron ore in the Pilbara region (Western Australia)
- Browse Basin LNG Precinct (Western Australia)
- Hamersley Iron Ore Pty Ltd (Rio Tinto) iron ore mining in the Pilbara (Western Australia)
- Perth and Peel region (Western Australia)
The EPBC Act also contains in sections 147 to 154 particular provisions for the strategic assessment of Commonwealth-managed fisheries.
Please note: under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 , all requirements for public consultation and all requirements that information be made available to the public may be superseded on the grounds of national security, or if the information is advice to the Minister or commercial-in-confidence.